Memorial Day (US) 2022
Please note: some links on this page are affiliate links.
Shop on Amazon* and help to support our site.
- In 1861, Warrenton, Virginia was the location of the first Civil War socldier’s grave to be decorated. John Quincy Marr died during the Battle of Fairfax Courthouse in Virginia.
- In 1868, General John A. Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic annouced a Decoration Day, which was widely celebrated.
- Since 1868 Doylestown, Pennysylvania has held what it claims to be the nation’s oldest continuously running Memorial Day parade.
- By 1890 every Northern State had adopted it as a holday, but this was minaly for the Civil War.
- Some Southern public figures decided that the North had appropriated the day and added the word ‘Confederate’ to the naming of their day – Confederate Memorial Day was first celebrated in 1874, but in June.
- After World War I and II the day turned into more of a generalised day of remembrance.
- In 1971, Congress standardised the day to Memorial Day and changed the day to the last Monday in May.
Did you get a search win? Come and tell us in the Facebook group!
If you would like to write your own search links post, or any other post, please read this.
- See our other search link blogs here
- Find out more about the sites we like here
- Join the Facebook group here to meet other Swagbucks users
*Amazon pays us a small commision for anything purchased through this link.