It’s Pride month! Will a search win help you fly your rainbow flag?
June is the official Pride month, a month dedicated to awareness and events around the LGBTQIA+ community. Let’s see what you know about Pride with these facts. You may even get a search win out of it!
Let us know how many of these facts you already knew in the comments.
- Every year during the month of June, the LGBTQIA+ community celebrates, and is celebrated, in honour of the Stonewall Riots that took place in June of 1969. The riots are frequently used as the marker for the start of the LGBTQIA+ movement.
- LGBTQIA+ is one of the commonly used acronyms when referring to the sexuality and gender identity-based community. There are variations of the acronym, some including more letters and some fewer.
- Pride is a movement that celebrates sexual diversity. For LGBTQIA+ people it is a way of protesting discrimination and violence. It promotes dignity, equal rights, and self-affirmation and is a way of increasing society’s awareness of the issues they face.
- Known as the “Mother of Pride”, it was Brenda Howard who coordinated the first LGBTQIA+ Pride march as well as sparking the idea for a week of events around Pride Day. These events then developed into the annual LGBTQ celebrations held every June.
- Although Pride started as a LGBTQIA+ only event, as the years have gone by and acceptance of the community has grown, more and more straight, cisgender people have been attending Pride celebrations, either as allies to the community or as spectators. If you’ll be attending a parade, it’s important to be respectful and learn a few things in advance so that you don’t unintentionally upset anyone.
- The rainbow flag is an almost universally recognised symbol for gay pride, both online and off, and you’ll probably see them popping up just about everywhere but why the rainbow?
- There are Pride events held all over the UK, and around the world, throughout the year so you’re sure to find one happening near you.
Join with us, the GPT Genies, in wishing all our LGBTQIA+ friends and counterparts who will be marching, attending, watching, or wishing they could join a very happy Pride.
Did you get a search win? Come and tell us in the Facebook group.
- See our other search link blogs here
- Find out more about the sites we like here
- Join the Facebook group here to meet other Swagbucks users